Former Woodbury Members Disappear as Linden Lab Continues Purge
by Paladin Proto
On April 20, 2010, Krypton Radio’s breaking story was the complete destruction of Woodbury University’s sims and groups in Second Life.
By April 22, the four regions formerly comprising the Woodbury estate had been removed from the grid, and all related groups deleted. Linden Lab is still actively deleting the accounts of the more notorious former members of Woodbury University. Twenty-eight people have now been banned. This police action now surpasses even the one against the W-Hat spin-off group “Voted 5″ in September of 2006, making it easily the biggest mass deletion of griefer accounts in Second Life since its founding in 2003, and the largest mass banning of any single group in the history of the grid.
The following is a partial list of accounts and alternate accounts confirmed to have been destroyed by Linden Lab. Some of the names listed may be alts of some others, and as we identify which are which, we will update this list to show that. Those restored afterward do not appear here.
Accounts continue to vanish from the Second Life service as Linden Lab pours over the complex maze of information at their disposal. Few accounts belonging to former members of the Woodbury University subgroup “The Wrong Hands” now survive. One of the few remaining is Tux Winkler, identified by the League as having had a history of griefing prior to his involvement with Woodbury. Tux Winkler recently negotiated a membership on the Modular Systems development team. Haruhi Thespian, the primary operative in what Robble Rubble once described to Carl Linden as “the JLU Wiki Heist” has been deleted and banned from the grid.
That Linden Lab took punitive action against “The Wrong Hands” as well as Woodbury is noteworthy, as is the simultaneous disappearance of both Governor Soup, a member of Woodbury who claimed to be a Linden-employed overseer of the ill-fated group, and Carl Linden, who had a tell-all relationship with Robble Rubble, ringleader of “The Wrong Hands”.
Former Woodbury admins continue to access the Second Life grid using alternate accounts, risking legal sanctions and endangering Bellino’s on-going negotiations with unnamed representatives of Linden Lab. Residents are urged to help Linden Lab by reporting these alts whenever they’re found.
The Search For Answers
Some of the surviving former members of the Woodbury University group are engaged in various speculations over the proximal cause of the destruction of Woodbury. Theories include:
- The continuous stream of refugees from the now dead Patriotic Nigras raiding group in their membership roster
- The presence of copybotted items and information on Second Life exploits in the Woodbury University group notices
- Intervention or other action by the Justice League Unlimited (JLU)/League of Heroes
- A Woodbury-promoted conspiracy theory involving an unlikely pact between Prokofy Neva, Modular Systems and the Gay Yiffy Club
Though none are confirmed as having causing the police action against Woodbury, some theories appear better supported by available facts than others. That Woodbury University put so much energy into a deceptive public relations smear campaign against the League to identify the League as the source of its woes may be strongly indicative.
Much information needed to validate one theory over another is accessible only to Linden Lab itself. In accordance with their policy not to share information on corrective actions toward specific individuals, however, Linden Lab has declined specific comment.
Stay tuned to Krypton Radio for more information as it becomes available.
- brokentoys.org: April 22, 2010 – “The Strange and Terrible Saga of the Soviet Commuter College”
- Emerging Technologies Librarian “Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf Uh I mean Woodbury Uh I Mean Linden Labs
- SorryAFK: April 23, 2010: Reporting or Readers – Which Matters More to Jeff Young?
- The Chronicle of Higher Education, April 25 2010 – Woodbury U. Banned from Second Life
- Second Thoughts: Happy 140th Birthday Vladimir Ilyich
- Arabella Steadham: This is Why Woodbury Were Banned