Federal Trade Commission Sued Over Failure to Enforce Law on Google
Krypton Radio Newswire
In a slightly unusual turn of events, EPIC didn’t sue Google but instead the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) over what it felt was a failure to keep Google in line and enforce the federal order that the FTC had imposed on Google over sharing of consumer information with third parties. EPIC issued the following statement:
The Google privacy compliance report, made public today, raises new questions about the company’s failure to comply with an FTC Consent Order. The Order required Google to answer detailed questions about how it protects the personal information of Google users. But Google chose not to answer many of the questions. Most significantly, the company did not explain to the Commission the impact on user privacy of the proposed changes that will take place on March 1. EPIC has filed a lawsuit to force the Federal Trade Commission to require Google to comply with the Consent Order to protect the privacy interests of Google users. For more information, see EPIC v. FTC (Google Consent Order).
Google only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of Google in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any sensitive personal information.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof, (c) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (d) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
- Courthouse News Service
- Electronic Privacy Information Center
Latest posts by Krypton Radio (see all)
- 2014 Hugo Award Nominees Announced - April 24, 2014
- Video of the Day: Malukah’s Cortana Tribute, ‘Frozen Sleep’ - April 24, 2014
- Video of the Day: ‘No Turning Back’ - April 23, 2014