Cosplayers are everywhere, and the knowledge, skills and information needed to create absolutely amazing costumes have proliferated, especially in the past ten years. Favorite subjects are comic book characters, because who doesn’t want to be a superhero?
Marvel Comics, one of the mainstays at the giant comic cons around the country, has taken notice and decided to celebrate the fans in a gesture of mutual admiration. They’re calling it “The Cosplay Initiative”, a nice wordplay on “The Avengers Initiative” (yes, Marvel, we see what you did there). Starting in October, you’re going to start seeing variant covers on Marvel comics publications. There are going to be 20 in the series that they’ve announced so far, plus another they’re keeping under wraps.
“Cosplayers are taking over,” says Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Each convention I go to, it seems like there are more and more fans dressing up like their favorite Marvel characters. These homemade, hand-crafted costumes are so elaborate, it looks like they leapt off the comic page. The Cosplay Variant initiative is our way of supporting a community that supports us.”
Here is a list of all the covers in the gallery, along with the names of the cosplayers who built the costumes and wear them for the cameras:
- A-Force #1 Cosplay Variant by Jay Justice
- All-New Inhumans #1 Cosplay Variant by Yaya Han
- Amazing Spider-Man #1 Cosplay Variant by Aaron Rivin
- Astonishing Ant-Man #1 Cosplay Variant by SoloRoboto Industries
- Avengers #0 Cosplay Variant by Michael Cox
- Captain Marvel #1 Cosplay Variant by Judy Stephens
- Daredevil #1 Cosplay Variant by Patrick ‘Rick’ Lane
- Doctor Strange #1 Cosplay Variant by Allen Lee Hansard
- Extraordinary X-Men #1 Cosplay Variant by Amanda Lynne Shafer
- Guardians of the Galaxy #1 Cosplay Variant by Contagious Costuming
- Invincible Iron Man #1 Cosplay Variant by Dale Oliver
- Ms. Marvel #1 Cosplay Variant by Soni Balestier
- Nova #1 Cosplay Variant by Cap Santiago
- Sam Wilson Captain America #1 Cosplay Variant by Eddie Newsome (not shown here)
- Spider-Gwen #1 Cosplay Variant by Kathrine Zan
- Spider-Woman #1 Cosplay Variant by Yashuntafun Cosplay
- The Mighty Thor #1 Cosplay Variant by Sarah Jean Maefs
- The Mighty Thor #2 Cosplay Variant by Kevin Spooner
- Uncanny Avengers #1 Cosplay Variant by Miss Kit Quinn
- Uncanny Inhumans #1 Cosplay Variant by Kalel Sean
- One that’s CLASSIFIED. We’re pretty sure this one isn’t of Superman.
It’s easy to get excited about these variant covers. They’re all really good fan takes on the designs in the books, and some of them are really excellent. You should start seeing these variant covers appearing on the shelves starting in October.
– 30 –