One of the best ways to build buzz about your science fiction project is to make your interaction with your fans into a real conversation. Here is Sonnet Realm Films’ project Triborn doing just that. It’s every geek’s favorite, a spaceship design contest!
If Sonnet Realm Films sounds familiar, it should. Until July of this year, they had been working on a fan film called Alien: Identity. It would have taken place 14 years after the events of Jim Cameron’s 1986 blockbuster, Aliens. Continuing the story of Newt, the little girl we all loved, but despised to see perish in vain. Actress Elle Viane Sonnet was to portray that role. Unfortunately for the project, Sonnet Realms had begun to accumulate some real firepower in terms of the creative staff that had signed on to produce the movie, including many from the actual 20th Century production of the original films. 20th Century filed a cease and desist, so rather than let all that mojo just leak out and dissipate, they put their back burner project on the front burner without skipping a beat.
We haven’t seen the script for it, but Triborn could well be amazing. There’s going to be a Kickstarter for it, and when this starts we’ll let you know. This is one of those projects that the major studios would pass over in favor of the seventeenth sequel to Fast and Furious, but, thanks to the miracle of fandom esprit de corps, can get made anyway.
Here is what the folks at Sonnet Realm have to say about it the contest:
Attention artists! We are looking for an artist to design a space ship that will be suitable for Ricco Ross’ character, Logan. This will be an opportunity to be involved in the making of TRIBORN among a team of industry professionals. We know there a lot of talented artists out there, so here is your chance to do something and be part of a movie that will make history!
- The submission must be 100% your own original design. You cannot submit another person’s work or even partial work that was created by someone else.
- The ship must be able to travel long range through space, fly in atmosphere and land onto planet surfaces, while also being able to take off quickly. It should be weaponized and able to carry 1-4 people.
- You may submit up to three ( 3) unique designs.
- They can be either 2D or 3D images.
- You may use any medium you wish (pencil sketch, paint, digital, et cetera)
- Deadline is 11:59pm PST October 16th, 2015
- Submit art to contests@TRIBORNmovie.com
What You Get If You Win
- You get an opportunity to have your design included in the Triborn universe.
- You will have an opportunity to work with the production design team as they model and build from your design
- You will get to design the interior of the cockpit that will be built into a set.
- You get a special credit in the movie as a concept designer.
- You will get a one day pass to set in Los Angeles area during the making of this movie with the opportunity to meet Ricco Ross, plus other cast and crew members. You will see your design in action, get photos of yourself on the set you designed, hang out with cast & crew, and get some other free swag (travel and lodging not provided).
- All designs will be shared on our websites as well as social media!
If you’ve got some neat spaceship designs aching for a project to call home, go ahead and submit to the contest. Something wonderful might happen.