Filming for the third installment of the Star Trek reboot series, Star Trek Beyond, has wrapped. The achievement was celebrated by none other than the current Mr. Scott himself, Simon Pegg. He posed for this picture, along with co-writer Doug Jung, to be tweeted from the set.
In the photo, Pegg is wearing a hat from that other Star franchise he’s a part of (Pegg really is living the geek dream isn’t he?) This fashion faux pas can be forgiven, when it comes from someone as beloved as Pegg.
Pegg and Jung are probably considering a life that includes a vacation. The two have been working on their Trek script since January, and it was written from all original material. It was previously thought that Pegg and Jung had been hired to fix a script written by Robert Orci. But Pegg stated that Paramount tossed out Orci’s original screenplay, and brought in Pegg and Jung to write something “more inclusive” to appeal to a broader fan-base. No word yet on what that plot might entail.
Amazingly, filming on Star Trek Beyond wrapped with no plot points being leaked. Virtually nothing is known about what story Pegg and Jung are telling, but they have said that the film will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Star Trek franchise. During a press conference in Dubai earlier this month Pegg said of writing the script, “The challenge was to marry the two; the traditional Star Trek everyone grew up watching and our Star Trek.” This was no easy feat, even for many seasoned writers, but it is widely known how much Pegg respects the source material, so it is certain he took on the task of writing with careful thought and deliberation.
It is also certain that many fans can start counting down the days until the USS Enterprise will once again be on the big screen. Directed by Justin Lin, the film also stars Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Idris Elba, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, John Cho, Anton Yelchin, Joe Taslim, and Sofia Boutella.
Star Trek Beyond opens in theaters on July 22, 2016.