No Man's SkyNo Man’s Sky  on PC has had a rocky launch to say the least. According to Metacritic, It currently boasts a dismal 2.9 User Rating and an overall score of 64 based on 6 critics. It’s understandable. The game has been plagued with reports of the game being poorly optimized and hardly playable in its initial launch state. Hello Games, the creators of No Man’s Sky, have been scrambling to resolve this with rapid fire patches and a promised update coming in the near future. The third patch was announced just last Saturday on the Steam Community forums detailing how they have been dealing with the influx of support requests. There have been problems with save game corruption, game crashes, poor in-game performance on older CPU/GPU sets, mouse settings, and more. Hello Games says this latest patch should address 70% of the current support requests and they are now focusing on the remaining 30%.

Personally, I was interested in purchasing this game when I first saw it. I chose not to buy or pre-order because I as a PC gamer have been burned one too many times on botched launches of games that have massive amounts of hype such as Rocksteady’s Arkham Knight, Netherrealm Studios’ Mortal Kombat X, and more. I fully understand that this is a indie studio more or less making a AAA level game for the first time. I know there will be mistakes. Hello Games did have the foresight to delay the games launch to fix some of the issues, but I personally feel that they, just like other big name publishers/developers, decided to priority the console market before the needs of the PC platform. This has resulted in another failed launch and loss in consumer faith regarding the ability to pre-order. If we didn’t have the Steam Refund Policy, we’d be truly up the creek without a paddle.

-30-

Facebook Comments