Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is coming available as a digital download on August 8, and as DVD. BluRay, and 4K on August 22. Set as taking place two months after the first film, the Guardians continue to soar the galaxy fighting against evil and trying to get along with each other.
The physical media will include a hefty list of extra content, including Guardians Inferno, a music video featuring David Hasselhoff and a group called the Sneepers. The song is included in the Volume 2: Guardians Of The Galaxy Awesome Mix Tape Vol. 2 Soundtrack album. You’ll probably want to watch this a couple of times, just to make sure you actually saw what you think you just saw.
The video is meant to look like every weird, over-produced gimmicky 70’s music video you ever saw, and features the Hoff in a silver sequinned open-chested jumpsuit as “Zardu Hasselfrau”, lots of silver spandex, mullets, wilted handlebar mustaches, cheesy dance moves and the best crappy video switcher effects the era had to offer. If you look close, you can see not only Hasselhoff, who played a small but important role in Guardians Vol 2., but Chris Pratt, Dave Bautista, Zoe Saldana, Pom Klementieff, Michael Rooker, Stan Lee and, strangely, Jimmy Kimmel Live‘s Guillermo.
Gunn and Guardians composer Tyler Bates told Rolling Stone in an interview that Guardians’ Inferno was their take on Meco’s disco Star Wars theme. Gunn and Bates penned the track, with “the Sneepers” performing it for the film’s popular soundtrack*.
The Blu-Ray and 4K releases will include not only this video, but a hefty pile of extra features:
- The Making Of Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 A four part behind the scenes look at the making of the film
- Visionary Intro featuring James Gunn as he explains how he continues and expands the storylines of the characters for the film
- Four deleted scenes are also included, as well as a gag reel, showing bloopers during filming of the sequel.
- Director’s audio commentary from James Gunn
- Three scene breakdowns that will show you the entire process for creating the scenes, from storyboards to finished versions as they appear in the film.
- Guardians Of The Galaxy: Mission Breakout, a behind the scenes look at the newly opened attraction at DisneyLand and at the Magic Kingdom park at Disney World.
Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2 features the returning cast of Chris Pratt as Peter “StarLord” Quill, Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Dave Bautista as Drax, Bradley Cooper as the voice of Rocket, Vin Diesel as the voice of Baby Groot, Michael Rooker as Yondu, and Karen Gillan as Nebula. New to the cast are Pom Klementieff as Mantis, Sylvester Stallone as Stakar Ogord, Elizabeth Debiki as Ayesha, and Kurt Russell as Ego.
StarLord eventually takes the team on their new mission, the search for his father, and come face to face with Mantis, an alien with empathic powers, and the powerful cosmic being named Ego, a living planet. A new threat to the galaxy is discovered and StarLord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket, and Baby Groot must fight to save the galaxy. Again.
The Guardian’s next appearance will be in Avengers: Infinity War coming May 4, 2018.