Between the bloodbaths of Rogue One and Solo, the death toll in Star Wars standalone feature films has been high. Fortunately for fans, rumors of the death of the spinoffs themselves have been greatly exaggerated.

While multiple fan news outlets have been reporting that, following last month’s Solo: A Star Wars Story coming up short of projected profits, Lucasfilm has shelved all future projects outside of the announced two new film series, a trilogy helmed by Rian Johnson (Star Wars: The Last Jedi) and a series of unspecified length from David Benioff and D.B. Weiss (Game of Thrones), including the oft-rumored but as-yet-unconfirmed films centered around fan-favorites Obi-Wan Kenobi and Boba Fett, this does not seem to be the case.

Star Wars fans know better than to believe anything is killed so swiftly.

When dealing with rumors, go to the source whenever possible. That is what ABC’s Clayton Sandell did. Today, sources at Lucasfilm told ABC that these whispers of cancelling the A Star Wars Story concept are “inaccurate.” Sandell writes:

Instead, Lucasfilm told ABC News there are still “multiple” Star Wars films currently in development that have not been officially announced. Those projects are moving forward separate from an already-announced “Star Wars” trilogy being overseen by “The Last Jedi” director Rian Johnson and another series of movies from “Game of Thrones” producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

With two new film series in development, a live-action TV series created by Jon Favreau set to begin streaming on a new service from Disney next year, the animated series Star Wars Resistance set for release in just a few months, and, of course, J.J. Abrams’ as-yet-untitled Star Wars Episode IX, once again starring Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, and Oscar Isaac, set to conclude the current ongoing trilogy on December 20, 2019, the on-screen Star Wars slate is more full than ever, and there are more announcements to come.

-30-

Facebook Comments