The nominations for the 2019 Academy Awards have just been released, and as usual, a significant portion of them intersect the world of Geekdom, with the movie Black Panther earning six nominations all by itself!
Without further ado, here are the nominations, filtered for our special interest.
|Avengers: Infinity War||Visual Effects|
|Black Panther||Best Picture, Costume Design, Music Original Score and Song “All The Stars,” Production Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing|
|Christopher Robin||Visual Effects|
|First Man||Production Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects|
|Mary Poppins Returns||Costume Design, Musical Original Score and Song “The Place Where the Lost Things Go”, Production Design|
|Ready Player One||Visual effects|
|A Quiet Place||Sound Editing|
|Solo: A Star Wars Story||Visual Effects|
- Incredibles 2 [Disney]
- Isle of Dogs [20th Century Fox Animation]
- Mirai [Studio Chizu]
- Ralph Breaks the Internet [Disney]
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse [Sony Pictures Entertainment/Marvel Entertainment
Short Film (animated)
- Animal Behaviour [National Film Board of Canada]
- Bao [Disney/Pixar] (released with INCREDIBLES 2)
- Late Afternoon [Cartoon Saloon in Ireland, previous works included The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea]
- One Small Step [TAIKO Studios, debut production by new studio opened this year by founder-CEO Shaofu Zhang, a former Disney and Imageworks animator]
- Weekends [Indie by Trevor Jimenez, former Pixar artist]
- Christian Bale [Vice], formerly Batman.
- Bradley Cooper [A Star Is Born], Rocket Raccoon
- Willem Dafoe [At Eternity’s Gate], The Green Goblin
- Viggo Mortensen [Green Book], Aragorn
- Adam Driver [BlacKKKlansman], Kylo Ren
- Sam Rockwell [Vice], Zaphod Beeblebrox
- Melissa McCarthy [Can You Ever Forgive Me?] Ghostbuster Abby Yates
- Amy Adams [Vice], Lois Lane
- Emma Stone [The Favourite], Gwen Stacy
- Rachel Weisz [The Favourite], Nefertiti [The Mummy Returns]
About the Awards
The Academy Awards, also known as the Oscars, are a set of 24 awards for artistic and technical merit in the film industry, given annually by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), to recognize excellence in cinematic achievements as assessed by the Academy’s voting membership.
The Academy Awards ceremony itself is televised annually, and this year is set to air live on ABC Television on Sunday, February 24, 2019.