Just over a month ago, veteran character actor Dick Miller celebrated his 90th birthday. He died January 30, 2019 in Toluca Lake, CA. The cause of death has not yet been announced.
Mr. Miller appeared in many of Roger Corman’s and Joe Dante’s films. Some of his most famous roles include Vorsuon Fouch in Little Shop of Horrors, the pawnshop owner in The Terminator, and Murray Futterman in Gremlins and Gremlins II, and Walter Paisley in A Bucket of Blood His movie career began in 1955 with the wstern Apache Woman, and only ended last year with Hideouser and Hideouser and Hanukkah.
He served in the United states Navy, wearing his country’s uniform honorably. Born in the Bronx, New York, December 25, 1928, he attended both City College of New York and Columbia University. He moved from New York to California in 1952 to pursue a career as a writer, but instead became an actor.
Mr. Miller had many horror roles, and more than a few science fiction roles.
- It Conquered the World Sgt. Neil 1956
- Not of This Earth Joe Piper 1957
- War of the Satellites Dave Boyer 1958
- A Bucket of Blood Walter Paisley 1958
- The Little Shop of Horrors Fouch 1960
- Capture That Capsule Ed Nowak 1961
- Premature Burial Mole 1962
- The Terror Stefan 1963
- X: The Man with X-Ray Eyes Heckler 1963
- Piranha Buck Gardner 1978
- Dr. Heckyl and Mr. Hype Orson 1980
- The Howling Walter Paisley 1981
- Vortex (bit part) 1982
- The Aftermath Broadcaster 1982
- Twilight Zone: The Movie Walter Paisley 1983
- Space Raiders Crazy Mel 1983
- V: The Final Battle Dan Pascal 1984
- Gremlins Murray Futterman 1984
- The Terminator Pawnshop Clerk 1984
- Tales from the Darkside Sidney Furman 1985
- Explorers Charlie Drake 1985
- Chopping Mall Walter Paisley 1986
- Night of the Creeps Walt 1986
- Amazing Stories Fred 1986
- Innerspace Cab Driver 1987
- Amazon Women on the Moon Danny Clayton 1987
- Star Trek: the Next Generation Vendor in Holodeck 1988
- Ghost Writer Club Manager 1989
- Eerie, Indiana Al 1991
- Evil Toons Burt 1992
- Amityville 1992: It’s About Time Andersen 1992
- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm Chuckie Sol 1993
- Batman: the Animated Series Boxcars Bennett 1994
- Lois & Clerk: the New Adventures of Superman Mike Lane 1994
- Star Trek: Deep Space 9 Vin 1995
- Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight Uncle Willie 1995
- Weird Science Repairman 1996
- The Warlord: Battle for the Galaxy Peddler 1996
- Small Soldiers Joe 1998
- Justice League Unlimited Oberon 2005
- Route 666 Bartender 2001
- Burying the Ex Cop 2014
In a half -century career he also appeared in many non-SFFH roles in shows such as Moonlighting, Fame, and Taxi. He had nearly 200 acting credits on TV and in movies. He directed an episode of Miami Vice. He also wrote the stories upon which three screenplays were based, a western called Four Rode Out, a WWII comedy titled Which Way to the Front?, and a martial arts film entitled TNT Jackson.
He married actress Lainie Miller in 1959. We offer our condolences to her and the rest of his family and friends. The world has lost a true artist.