Actor Tom Hanks (the voice of Woody in Disney’s Toy Story franchise, and Walt Disney in Saving Mr. Banks) and his wife Rita Wilson (Debbie in The Day It Came to Earth and Susan Borman in From the Earth to the Moon) have been diagnosed with coronavirus. Neither is in a high risk group, and both are expected to make a full recovery. They are quarantined in Australia, where Hanks was co-starring in a biopic about Elvis Presley, as the infamous Col. Parker.
Their son, Chet Hanks, posted a video about his parents’ health on Instagram:
The name of the Elvis Presley biopic has not been released yet, but it stars Austin Butler (Jack in The Dead Don’t Die) as Elvis. The movie had been scheduled for release October 1, 2021, but it seems safe to assume that it will be slightly delayed. Since Hanks tested positive for coronavirus, it’s probable that other cast members were exposed.
Although the World Health Organization has declared coronavirus a pandemic, it is important not to panic. Take sensible precautions. Eat a healthy diet and get moderate exercise, to keep your immune system strong. Wash your hands thoroughly and often. Avoid unnecessary crowds.
Public gatherings that attract tens or hundreds of thousands of people have been hastily canceled. The list of impacted events and locales includes:
- E3 in Los Angeles, CA, US – canceled
- SXSW in Austin TX, US – postponed
- Costume Con 38 in Montreal, CN – cancelled
- WonderCon 2020 in Anaheim, CA, US – postponed
- Every Disney resort park land around the world – closed at least through the end of the month
- Universal Studios parks in Los Angeles, California and Orlando, Florida, US – closed through the end of the month
- Knott’s Berry Farm, Anaheim CA, US – closed through the end of the month
- Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle, Washington, US – postponed
- Burning Cat gaming convention, Portland, OR US – cancelled
Conventions east of the Mississipi appear to be weighing their options, with few planned cancellations or postponements, as are conventions scheduled months away on the west coast of the United States. Gem State ComicCon in Expo, Idaho is continuing as planned. WhedonCon in Los Angeles in June and MidSouthCon in Memphis in March have not yet announced any changes to their planned schedule.
If you want to get your quota of geeky goodness while still practicing social distancing, stay home and listen to Krypton Radio. Greet people with a Vulcan salute. Remember what Douglas Adams said: “Don’t panic,” and
Wash your hands.